The possibility of deploying and commercializing BMI/BCI-based solutions requires researchers, manufacturers, and regulatory bodies to ensure these devices comply with well-defined criteria on their safety and effectiveness. BMI/BCI systems typically require integration of multiple sub-components comprising measuring and analysis of neural activity, and provision of feedback to the user through different means (including displays, virtual reality systems, haptic interfaces and exo-skeletons, among others). The lack of specific standards on neurotechnologies for BMI/BCI hinders the interoperability, and regulatory compliance of new devices and in consequence, consists a barrier for industrial applications to access a wide market.
To address this issue, I chair the group on Neurotechnologies for Brain-Machine Interface, This IEEE Standards Industry Connections activity launched in May 2017, gathers diverse stakeholders across neurotechnologies, research institutions, industry and government agencies to identify and address gaps in the existing standards in Brain-Machine Interfacing (BMI). It also aims to raise awareness of the importance of standards in the field.
Our working group has contributed to the OECD working paper on “Responsible Innovation for Neurotechnology Enterprises” released in Autumn 2019, and will soon release a Standards Roadmap: Neurotechnologies for Brain-Machine Interfacing. This document aims at providing an overview of the existing and developing standards in the field of neurotechnologies for brain-machine interfacing. It is mainly focused on systems that provide a closed-loop interaction with artificial devices based on information extracted from measures of the activity in the nervous systems.
- Standards Roadmap: Neurotechnologies for Brain-Machine Interfacing, IEEE Standards Association. Coming soon
- Responsible Innovation for Neurotechnology Enterprises, OECD working paper, Autumn 2019
- On the Need of Standards for Brain-Machine Interface Systems, IEEE Brain eNewsletter, 2017
- Talk at Workshop Global Perspectives on Responsible Artificial Intelligence, Freiburg, Germany, June 2020
- Workshop on Benchmarking Standards for BMI, Int. BCI Meeting, Brussels, 9 June 2020
- Talk: “Overcoming Barriers for Safe and Efficient Applications of Brain-Machine Interfacing (BMI)/Brain Computer Interface (BCI) for Clinical and Consumer Applications through Standardization”, 1st IEEE International Conference on Human-Machine Systems, Rome, April 2020
Past Activities and News
- Standards for Neurotechnologies and Brain-Machine Interfacing Workshop, Graz BCI Conference, Graz, Austria, 16 September 2019
- Special session on standards at the IEEE SMC 2018 BMI workshop. Miyazaki, Japan (7-10 October 2018)
- Presentation at the Meeting of the global and emerging brain initiatives. IEEE SMC 2018. Miyazaki, Japan (7-10 October 2018)
- Workshop on standards for Neurotechnologies at the International BCI meeting at Asilomar, USA (21-25 May 2018)
- Face to face meeting at the IEEE International Systems, Man and Cybernetics Conference Banff, Canada (06 October 2017)
- Special session Healthcare Innovation: Inspiring Global Open Consensus Standards, IEEE EMBS conference Jeju Island, Korea (14 July 2017)